What to Expect with Gastric Sleeve Surgery | El Paso TX
For many, losing weight is not only feeling better about their appearance but also their overall health. Traditional methods such as exercise and nutrition improvements are the best options to begin and maintain a healthier lifestyle. However, there are times when these trusted methods do help you to lose the weight needed to be healthier. This is when consulting with a bariatric specialist about other options can be beneficial. One recommended weight loss surgery is gastric sleeve surgery which is a procedure that is performed laparoscopically and usually requires one night in the hospital.
Why Choose Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Much like other gastric or bariatric surgeries, there are many benefits to gastric sleeve surgery, including:
- May physically reduce your hunger. This will help you maintain the weight that is lost from the procedure, but it’s important to understand that reduction of hunger does not always occur in every patient.
- It does not require as much operating time as compared to gastric bypass.
- Does not require any re-rerouting of the intestines.
- No dumping syndrome experienced. Dumping syndrome is a condition that can develop after surgery to remove all or part of your stomach or after surgery to bypass your stomach to help you lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly.
- No adjustments are needed. Other weight loss tools such as the Lap-Band do require several doctor visits. However, gastric sleeve surgery will require follow-up appointments.
- No foreign objects left in the body.
- Weight loss typically occurs in most patients over a period of 18 months. The majority of weight loss occurs in the first year.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you would like to learn the cost of gastric sleeve surgery or have any questions regarding the procedure, then we strongly urge you to schedule a 1-on-1 consultation with our weight loss surgeon in El Paso TX.