Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery | El Paso TX
For many patients desiring to lose weight, gastric sleeve surgery is a great option for better health. Gastric sleeve surgery differs from gastric bypass surgery in a few ways. For instance, the procedure is performed laparoscopically and usually requires one night in the hospital. About 85-90% of the stomach is resected, changing the metabolic status of the patient resulting in a loss of about 70% of the extra body weight.
Gastric sleeve surgery comes with a host of positive benefits including:
- May physically reduce your hunger. This will help you maintain the weight that is lost from the procedure, but it’s important to understand that the reduction of hunger does not always occur in every patient.
- Does not require as much operating time as compared to gastric bypass.
- Does not require any re-rerouting of the intestines.
- No dumping syndrome experienced. Dumping syndrome is a condition that can develop after surgery to remove all or part of your stomach or after surgery to bypass your stomach to help you lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly.
- No adjustments are needed. Other weight loss tools such as the Lap Band do require several doctor visits. However, gastric sleeve surgery will require follow-up appointments.
- No foreign objects left in the body.
- Weight loss typically occurs in most patients over a period of 18 months. The majority of weight loss occurs in the first year.
Consult Your Weight Loss Specialist
If you are desiring to lose weight with the latest weight loss surgery, contact your weight loss specialist in El Paso, TX.