Common Questions About Gastric Bypass Surgeon in El Paso TX
Gastric Bypass surgery is used as a tool for weight loss when other options have not returned satisfactory results. Gastric Bypass was initially introduced in 1967, but since then has advanced greatly over years – perfected by Benjamin Clapp, MD FACS, currently one of the best gastric bypass surgeons in El Paso.
Overview of the Gastric Bypass Procedure
The gastric bypass is performed laparoscopically (through small incisions). A small pouch is created in the upper portion of the stomach, bringing up a piece of intestine and bypassing the distal stomach and a portion of the small intestine.
Useful Gastric Bypass Resources:
- Gastric Bypass Fact Sheet
- Visual Representation of Gastric Bypass
Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
The gastric bypass has been one of the most popular bariatric surgeries for weight loss results. The procedure was named the most popular bariatric surgery option in 2015 and is considered the “gold standard” for bariatric surgery.
- You will lose weight. The average person loses 70-80% of their excess body weight in the first 18 months post surgery.
- Those with type 2 diabetes will see significant improvement. In some cases may even eliminate the condition.
- You will not physically be able to consume large meals due to your smaller stomach size following the procedure.
- You can get sick from eating too many carbohydrates, including sugar, which helps keep weight off.
- Those who are on medication for high blood pressure or high cholesterol may see improvements significant enough to lower medications or come off of it entirely.
- Studies have shown 90% of patients maintain at least 50% of excess weight loss after surgery.
- You may see hormone improvements, including increased testosterone and metabolism improvements.
To learn more or to schedule an appointment, you may call our office @ 915-351-6020 or you may conveniently contact us online and we will respond as soon as possible.